Manchester property agents giving you advice!

Manchester Property Agents giving you advice! Have you got one of these?

Abode as the leading Manchester property agents are pleased to inform all landlords of  Gas Safety Week

Landlords are being urged to make sure they comply with the law and have Gas Safety Certificates in place.

The warning follows a recent Health and Safety Executive (HSE) prosecution of a landlady for failing to provide evidence that a gas safety check had been carried out at one of her tenanted properties.

Matthew Claxson, a specialist health and safety lawyer at Fentons Solicitors LLP, said: “In light of this recent HSE prosecution, it is crucial that landlords are aware they are legally responsible for the safety of their tenants, and that tenants in turn, are aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.”

When a request by Lichfield District Council for a Staffordshire landlady to produce landlord’s gas safety certificates for boilers at two properties she owned in Burntwood went unanswered, the council referred the matter to the HSE.

“Landlord’s certificates are required to confirm that gas appliances, installation and flues at a property have been checked annually for safety by a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer,” said Claxson,“Gas safety laws are there to protect us and the law requires that all landlords who provide a domestic gas service to tenants have those services checked to ensure they meet the requirements of the Gas Safe register.”

South Walls Magistrates’ Court was told that despite numerous requests the landlady failed to provide the certificates. As a result, the HSE served two Improvement Notices requiring her to arrange for a competent gas fitter to carry out an inspection of the gas appliances in the two premises and produce a certificate for both.

After the court heard that she complied with one of the notices but failed to immediately provide a certificate for the second property despite repeated requests by the HSE, the woman pleaded guilty to breaching gas safety regulations and was fined £1,500 and ordered to pay costs of £3,209.

“Although some landlords choose to put the safety of their tenants at risk, it was fortunate that in this case no-one was killed,” said Claxson, “Faulty gas appliances and flues are responsible on average for 20 carbon monoxide-related deaths in the UK every year. Many more suffer serious health effects from inadvertently inhaling the highly toxic gas – which can be extremely hard to detect without proper equipment as it has no colour, odour or taste.

Landlords please please make sure that your Manchester property agents are ensuring that your Gas Safetys are up to date. Here at Abode we have systems in place and prepare one month in advance of gas safety renewal dates. We have trusted and reliable Gas Safe registered plumbers who carry out all our inspections.

You can find out more at and the NWLA who are also proud to support Gas Safety Week. 

More Posts

Get your FREE Property Valuation

Is your property undervalued? Let’s find out

Thank you

Tracy, who is one of our directors, will be in touch shortly to discuss your valuation.

She has over 20 years of experience managing properties in the Manchester area, so you’ll be in very safe hands.

Your Message Was Sent

One of our advisors will be in touch shortly to discuss your query.

Thanks for subscribing

Don’t forget to check your junk mail and spam filter to ensure you get uninterrupted emails from us.